Thursday, November 19, 2009

Yee Haw!


I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I love cowboys. I really do. When I was little I "played" cowboy often.  I wanted to be a boy. Pretending to be a cowboy made me about the best kind of boy I could imagine. They first of all rode horses all day, which was the best part. They were hero's and usually saved the day. I always watched every western on TV when I was little. My mother would call whatever we were having to eat "cowboy stew" or "cowboy spaghetti" to get me to eat it. I wish I had that problem now... 
Here's an interesting little tidbit of history for all of you. When I was 3 years sober I was going to group therapy for stage II recovery issues. Back then you could actually get your insurance to pay for that. Anyway, I was lucky enough to be sent to a very posh 28 day treatment center called Sierra Tuscon in Arizona for adult child of alcoholic treatment, ( yeah, 28 days too). I had never been out west in my life. Well one of the many perks of this absolutely gorgeous place was being able to go horseback riding in the Arizona desert. I was there in the spring. It was breathtaking. I went trail riding almost every day. This was like a childhood dream come true. It was just like being in the movies every morning. The cowboys who worked there were rather inspirational too!  My recovery was truly shaped by that experience by the way. Not the cowboys but the actual treatment I had there. That's fodder for another post, back to the cowboys.
I think I love cowboys because they represent what a man was supposed to be.The ideal. The men I saw on the screen were courageous, they had integrity, they rescued the girl from the bad guy and  the endings were always happy. I love manly men, period. I'm not impressed by a guy in a business suite as much as I am with one wearing chaps! Ha!

7 comments:

Pammie said...

I've had a secret on going love affair with Sam Elliott for over 30 years. Unfortuanately it is a secret from him as well.

steveroni said...

Loved your post for the memories it brought to me. I had a stallion named Silver--well, a gelding!--and I was you-know-who! Age 11-13...

What a neat-o treatment story!
GOOD post.

Unknown said...

I'm with Pam...I have an undying love for Mr. Elliot, he lived in Oregon while I was there and was lucky enough to see him in Brownsville once while I was with my first hubby...

I like you JeNN love the cowboy on mnay levels...I like you wanted to be a boy too...I enjoyed the freedom they seemed to always have when playing ...

Thanks for the post!
Thanks for the love
G

Monkey Man said...

Sam Elliot is from my home town. His mom still lives here. He only plays a cowboy on film. But that voice....what a talent. Love the story, Jenn. Sky King. Lone Ranger. John Wayne. Even Clint. Great romantic cowboys all.

Enchanted Oak said...

I love cowboys too.
Glad you got to meet some in rehab. Glad it formed a fantastic memory for you.
Love,
Chris

Lou said...

Clint Eastwood (back in the day) was my favorite cowboy.

I can't remember the movie, but he played a cowboy who dislocated his shoulder. He tied his belt to a tree, the other end to his arm, pulled it back into place, and kept going after the bad guys. What a man!

I don't like horses though, I'm scared of them.

Syd said...

I fit better in well worn jeans than a business suit, although I've been told that I clean up nicely.